Friday, August 11, 2006

I Wasn't Going to Tell This on Myself

But what the hell.

A couple of weeks ago, while the kid was in Oklahoma visiting Mama (this will become an important fact), I fell asleep on the couch while watching television. I woke up about 2:30 a.m. and decided I should get my ass to bed.

Of course with the dogs, it's never that easy. I let some out back and took some out front, maneuvered the pesky puppies so they didn't encounter the other dogs, filled water dishes so I wouldn't have to in the morning, gave Abby her medicine, etc., blah blah blah. Finally, everyone was situated and I was ready to lock up and go to bed.

Except oops, I forgot to lock the gate to the back yard.

I stepped out the back door, careful not to let anyone out, and shut the door. The boxers eagerly jumped up on the door, although they had just come in from outside. More fun to be outside when Mommy is out there too. Anyway, I took care of the gate and was ready to come back in, but when I tried the door...

Do I even need to tell you?

One of the boxers, whilst jumping up on the door, had hit the doorknob just right and turned the little dealie that locks it.

Shit. No keys in my pocket. Shit. No phone on my belt. SHIT! By then it was 2:45 a.m. Although there was no sense even trying the front door because I always lock it behind me when I come in, I tried it anyway. Nope, locked.

Normally it would have been a fairly simple matter to get back in. Normally the kid would have been sleeping in her room, and although I would really really really hate to knock on her window and wake her up to let me in because it would probably scare the living daylights out of her, I could have done that if it absolutely came down to it.

But. She was in Oklahoma, remember?

So my next (ridiculous) thought was to try to get the boxers to jump up on the door again. Except that it was a 1 in a million shot that they locked the door in the first place, nevermind the odds of getting them to do it again just right to unlock it. Not gonna happen.

Nevermind how I finally got into my house (I don't need to broadcast it on the internet lol). Just know that I did and it didn't involve waking anybody else up.

Of course if any of my neighbors happened to be awake I am sure they got a good laugh. I'd say thanks for not calling the cops, except that if someone else was doing what I did, I would hope someone would call the cops.

Oh, and Callie - I know it was you, you snot.

No comments: