Thursday, February 16, 2006

And the dog survey says...Cat Turds are Yummy!

There's just something wrong with calling a dog who escapes from the back yard to go eat cat turds from the front yard "Prissy".

This morning I am ready to leave and go to let the small dogs back inside, and discover Prissy is not in the back yard. So I head out the front door, "Prissy, here Prissy." Here she comes, still chewing. Yum.

Clearly we did not yet have a keen grasp of the dog's personality when we named her. Not that that particular trait, or disorder as I think of it, is restricted to Prissy. I know for a fact that 2 of my other dogs also consider cat poop a tasty treat. I don't know about the boxers; they never go in the front yard and the cats certainly don't dare venture into the back yard anymore.

Another dog I had who died almost 2 years ago (not from eating cat turds) liked them too. Once I had Phillip keep her while I went on vacation, and he let me know afterwards that he was happy to keep her for me any time because they didn't have to clean their cat box the entire time I was gone. Yippee.

I doubt if either cat turds by themselves or with cat litter stuck to them are considered nutritious for dogs. If you think regular dog breath is bad... and whatever you do, don't let them lick you.

Just think if someone invented cat turd flavored dog food, they could make a fortune. Dogs would go nuts. That is if they could get their owners to buy it for them.

But anyway. On to even less pleasant subjects, like Truly Nolen's re-visit yesterday. I won't say much on the subject because I fear I have already over-done rats on this blog, but I will say that he didn't find anything in any of the traps he set. I asked if that was good or bad, and he said it was really not necessarily either, but was good in the respect that it meant I am not "overrun" with them. I told him how I had not heard any in the kitchen in the past week, and that I just heard noises in the attic over my bedroom one night. He said he would be back next week to check again.

So, naturally, once I said out loud that I hadn't heard any in the kitchen in the past week... guess what? C'mon, 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

The dogs were all outside for the final time of the night, the kid was asleep, and I thought I heard something. I muted the TV and there were very definitely noises coming from behind the refrigerator. I was hoping it was so noisy because it was caught in a glue trap.

So... I decided to (try to) be a grown-up about the situation for a change. I took a deep breath and a xanax, grabbed a flashlight, and cautiously peered behind the fridge. Couldn't see a thing. Well, a couple of things that had fallen off the top of the fridge and were caught between the fridge and the wall (that can't be good, but then was not the time to retrieve them), but I couldn't see anything live or moving. Hmmmmm. Not that I minded all that much not seeing anything, though I suppose it might have been comforting to see it caught in a trap.

I let the dogs in and Buddy headed immediately to the side of the fridge and started sniffing around the back. Buddy, my protector. He knew something was there. If only he fit behind the fridge.

I actually cooked something last night, too. I guess it's back to eating out and avoiding the kitchen for awhile. At least the dishwasher's getting fixed on Saturday so once the rodents are gone I can sanitize absolutely everything in the kitchen in the dishwasher.

Can you run a toaster through the dishwasher?

1 comment:

Queen on the run said...

I love your answer for short or long, I damn near choked on my smoke!!!