Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm tired of thinking up blog entry titles

American Idol Update: Ok, I was 2 for 4 on predictions. But batting .500 ain't too bad. Girls Stevie and Becky were voted off, and guys Bobby and Patrick. Bobby didn't seem a bit surprised, and neither did Stevie really.

What I don't like about American Idol is that when people are voted off, they get to sing a final song, that being the song that got them voted off. Thus we are again subjected to usually excruciating performances that few people voted for the first time around. I understand the "one last time in the spotlight" thing, but can't they instead... well, I don't know what I'd suggest. I only know that the results show is one of the few shows I watch in "real time" since I have TiVo, and I literally had to pause it, get up and go do something, then come back and forward through Copacabana and whatever that supposed song was that Stevie sang. The other 2 I thought were ok and shouldn't have been voted off. Not yet anyway. Neither of them would have made it all the way but they shouldn't have been among the first to go either. But anyway.

Radically changing the subject, today my horoscope says: "Feel like you need to gain some insight into your own motivations, but not quite sure how to go about it? Never fear -- the stars are all set to help. Get ready to make a clean mental sweep of some old habits."

Well. Wouldn't that be nice. "A clean mental sweep of some old habits". Doesn't that sound refreshing and revitalizing and brand new. I'm not a believer that the stars are gonna accomplish that for me though. Maybe the crazy pills will help if I give them long enough.

What is gonna get a clean sweep today is all of the snacks in my desk. Man, is today going to be one FATTENING day. Let's see, what do we have here... a small unopened bag of jalapeno flavored potato chips from Quizno's, about 8 chocolate Dove heart candies, about half a 99 cent bag of flamin' hot Cheetos, and a few Goldfish crackers in the bottom of the box. I'm going to get all of this out of here today, namely by eating it, so I can truly, officially start Atkins on Monday.

I know, I know, where have you heard that before, right? You're skeptical. I can't say as I blame you. I think, though, that after eating all of the junk mentioned above, I won't actually feel like eating for awhile anyway.

Come to think of it, I might not wanna eat all 8 of those Dove candies in one day. That could definitely make for some, er, unpleasantness later on. Especially if I pile them on top of jalapeno chips and flamin' hot Cheetos. My stomach's reacting just thinking about it. Or maybe it's that bag of brownie bites and over-sweetened cup of coffee I've already had today.

Are you hungry yet, or am I just making you sick?

What's different about my plan to start Atkins this time is that, remember I said recently I had to go back to the doctor to have another blood test? I had a follow-up appointment on Monday. Dr. Wonderful told me that initially my glucose level was high, at a borderline diabetes level, and the retest was for a full blown diabetes screen. Thankfully that came back negative, but she said that I will probably want to have that checked out every 6 months or so.

Since that didn't in fact sound like something I would actually "want" to do, I inquired if this situation would change if I was to lose some weight. She said it definitely would and if I dropped a few pounds then it likely would never become a problem.

So there you go: Motivation. And, motivation aside from my (something)-year class reunion coming up in June (which wasn't really serving as good motivation anyway), that I have now learned that none of the friends I still have from high school even plan to go to anyway, so why, as one of them so wisely put it, would I want to go to a silly (and expensive) reunion, when I am still friends with all of the people from high school I really cared about anyway? Good point. And those friends don't care if I've put on a few pounds - they're not whispering to each other "wow, look how fat she's gotten since high school". Though apparently my glucose level does care, so effective Monday I will begin actively trying to appease it.

Plans for the weekend: Tonight, take the kid bowling since her night changed from Monday to Friday. Tomorrow morning get up way too early for a Saturday and meet my friend Jen at the big Kohl's sale before going to work at the liquor store at 10:00. Tomorrow afternoon leave the liquor store to meet the dishwasher guy. Go back to the store afterwards. Tomorrow night go home and make final preparations for trip to Louisiana. Sunday morning at 2:00 a.m. head out for trip to LA. Visit Phillip all day (well, till 3:00). Head back home. Stop to eat at that awesome place in Shreveport for my final pre-Atkins meal. Get home and go right to bed. Busy, hectic. and I wish I had had the foresight to take Monday off.

Hmmmm, I think I'm coming down with something (cough cough). Yeah, I definitely think so (sniffle). I just might be sick by Monday. Or maybe I'll just be one of those pesky hypochondriacs for the day.

No comments: