Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Sad Day

I am so sad.

Yesterday I received an e-mail from one of my animal rescue contacts about how 14 boxers needed foster homes immediately or they would be euthanized.

Of course you know I have 2 boxers. Of course you know I loooooooove boxers. So I chose the only white one in the bunch, known only as dog # BIN 090, who just happened to look almost exactly like my Callie, filled out the application to the boxer rescue group, and got instantly approved to foster because I adopted Callie from another boxer rescue with which they are familiar.

I had occasion to check my e-mail last night because I had to go get the kid from my parents' store (no school yesterday, upset tummy). Excitedly I first read that they would call the shelter and have the dog sent to a vet's office near my house and I would be able to pick him up today. Then a few e-mails later, I went on to read this, from a member of the rescue group:
I was so excited that I called the kennel manager from the shelter he is in at home.

BIN 090 attacked and seriously injured another dog today. Upper management of the shelter has made the decision for the dog to be euthanized for aggression. He absolutely can not go to rescue. The kennel manager asked if we would please take the remaining boxer that is there. BIN 107 before he develops kennel aggression too.


In following up, I learned that this poor baby had been a very sweet but scared fellow when the volunteer went to take his picture. Apparently, despite their personality, dogs can develop kennel aggression if they have to stay in a kennel too long.

There are still 13 other boxers in need, who are facing euthanization. So, despite my heartbreak over this one sweet boxer boy I had never even met, I will take another into my home to foster and love and save. Possibly BIN 107 mentioned in the e-mail, or there is another sweet girl who faces certain death on Friday if no one gets her by tomorrow.

Anyone who lives in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, please visit this page, Legacy Boxer Rescue, and consider what you can do to help these sweet boxers, be it fostering or volunteering or simply donating. If you live elsewhere, it won't be difficult for you to find such a group in your area, so that as many of these sweet faces as possible won't have to be euthanized:


One hand
Reaches out
And pulls a lost soul from harm
While a thousand more go unspoken for
They say what good have you done
By saving just this one
It's like whispering a prayer
In the fury of a storm.

(chorus)
And I hear them saying you'll never change things and no matter what you do it's still the same thing
But it's not the world that I am changing
I do this so this world will know that it will not change me.

This heart
Still believes
The love and mercy still exist.
While all the hatred rage and so many say
That love is all but pointless in madness such as this
It's like trying to stop a fire
With the moisture from a kiss.

*chorus*
As long as one heart still holds on
Then hope is never really gone.

*chorus*
What I do is so
This world will know
That it will not change me

The Change--Garth Brooks

No comments: