Monday, April 24, 2006

And on the 8th Day...

...it became a bit more difficult. But not impossible.

Day 8 of not smoking was Saturday. My formerly most smoke-filled day. Well, still smoke-filled, because I work at the liquor store and both of my parents smoke. Last Saturday I was sick as a dog and didn't want one. This Saturday, another matter entirely. And yet, I made it.

The closest I came to slipping was when Mom got there and set her pack down where I often set mine. I saw them there and unconsciously reached for them, then was like, WHOA, what are you doing? It went ok.

Day 9 - more challenging. My family went out to eat at our favorite steakhouse to celebrate 4 birthdays (yes, we were a little behind on birthday dinners), and of course I always have a beer there. Or two. Tall ones. Wheeeee. That is how I began smoking, when I drank. And though we adjourned to the bar/smoking section after the meal so the others could get their fix, still I resisted.. Even later at the bowling alley, where 2 of my teammates and most of the rest of the bowling alley smoke, I resisted.

And today is Day 10. Ten whole days. And the strange (but nice!) thing is, there haven't really been any bad moments. There have been some "gee I kind of want one" moments, but definitely not any "OMG I really want one, I don't think I can make it any longer" moments.

The nicest thing I've noticed so far is that I do not constantly have to keep up with my pack, or get all the way out to the car and have it started, ready to pull out, only to realize, oh shit, my cigs are on the coffee table in the house, gotta go back in and get them, I'm certainly not leaving without them, are you KIDDING?. And, I don't have to worry about how many I have left, when do I need to get some more, etc. It'll save me more money than just cigarette money too, because I'll inevitably pick up crap I don't need while stopping for cigarettes.

Go, me!

No comments: