Wednesday, April 26, 2006

What the Hell am I Doing?

It's official. That is indeed a perfectly appropriate name for my blog because I apparently have absolutely no idea what I am doing, at least it comes to the kid.

I picked her up from school yesterday and there was a notice that the center has confirmed 1 case of chickenpox contracted by a child who had indeed been vaccinated against it. Bummer, was all I thought at the time.

But on the way home, when the kid began complaining of the red bumps on her leg... I began to think serious bummer. Chickenpox are contagious you know. And though the kid has been vaccinated, so had the other kid been...

I couldn't look at them until we got home and then I freaked out. There were indeed red bumps on her, probably 6 or 7 on one leg, 3 on the other leg, 4 on one arm and 2 on the other. I knew they had not been there that morning, as it was her ballet/tap class day and I put her tights on her that morning. There's no way I would have missed them.

So I called my Mom. She asked about a fever. The kid had complained of being hot when we left the daycare, then cold when we got home, and felt a little warm though I hadn't taken her temperature. Fever is apparently one of the first symptoms. We talked about it, and decided that taking her to the doctor would do no good, there is nothing they can prescribe for it, they would just confirm it and tell me to put calamine lotion on her and keep her from scratching them.

So we headed to the pharmacy. Where the pharmacist looked and said... those aren't chickenpox, they are bug bites.

Bug bites? I was skeptical. Extremely skeptical. But he assured me that chickenpox are not "raised" but rather flat. These bumps were raised. He said get some Benadryl to help stop the itching.

So I got some Benadryl anti-itch spray and we went home. The bumps actually looked better this morning and so I thought, hmmm, I guess the pharmacist was right. Then I was trying to figure out how the hell she got all all those bug bites, because if I didn't know, how could I prevent it from happening again?

To school and work we came this morning, and finally 3 hours after I was here it occurred to me to look on the web for pictures of chickenpox. Looky here:


Specifically note the raised blisters. Which, unfortunately, look exactly like the kid's.

Thank you SO much Mr. I Don't Know Fucking Everything After All Pharmacist.

I'm waiting for the doctor's office to call me back.

No comments: