Thursday, April 27, 2006

Chickenpox is a Funny Word

But chickenpox are not funny. That really is a pretty gross picture I posted yesterday, huh?

Rather than wait for the doctor to call me back, I called the daycare center's director and asked her if she knew what chickenpox look like. Of course she did. So I had her pull the kid out of class to see if she had them. She does. The director did say it was unusual, as they usually start on the "trunk" and then move out to the extremities, and the kid only has them on her arms and legs, but in kids that have been vaccinated, anything can happen. The good news is, they should not be nearly as bad as if she had not been vaccinated. Needless to say I had to leave work and go pick her up immediately.

The good news is, the kid doesn't look like the person in that gross picture who has them all over her face. She really doesn't have very many and, as I said, only on her arms and legs. Bless her heart. I tried to get her to wear long-sleeved pajamas to keep her from scratching them, but she wouldn't, she likes nightgowns, so I had her sleep with socks on her hands, which she did not like one eency bit either. She cried and cried and said it was going to hurt. I tried to reason with her that wearing socks on our feet doesn't hurt, why would wearing them on our hands hurt, but she wasn't having any of that. Finally she calmed down and went to sleep though, and woke up in a good mood.

Is it me, or shouldn't a pharmacist know what chickenpox look like? I've half a mind to take the kid back up there and say "guess what, you moron?" And I'm moving all my prescriptions somewhere else.

No comments: