Wednesday, March 29, 2006

And Now We Know What Free Radicals Are

Ok, so, no way am I giving up on Abby. She's tunneled her way out of the yard and been lost I don't know how many times, and was so sick once before that I wasn't sure she'd make it through the night, but I never gave up on finding her, or getting her better. As importantly, she's never given up on me, as bad a "mom" as I am sure I am sometimes, nor would she ever. My mom reminded me that years before her dog died, she had the same type of tumor that Abby has, had it removed, and went on to live a long time. Yes, Abby has other issues, but at the very least I'm getting the x-rays and taking her to see my regular vet, the one who has seen her for years, and getting a second opinion. I've been Abby's mommy all these years and mommies don't just give up on their kids, right? Right. We have an appointment for Monday.

Either way, I ordered her some of that Tahitian Noni Juice for dogs. All right, fine, call me crazy, you certainly won't be the first, but that stuff supposedly has a lot of health benefits, lots of nutrients, it could help her arthritis, and it says it "Supports the immune system, contains superior antioxidants that help rid the body of free radicals, increases energy, and allows greater physical performance levels." If cancer wouldn't be considered a "radical" then I don't know what would be...

Ok, well, I Googled it (you should have known I would): "Free radicals are aggressive atoms or molecules that cause permanent damage when they react with cell components. They are highly reactive because they have unpaired electrons. Free radicals attack the nearest stable molecule and "steal" its electron". Sounds to me like cancer could indeed be made up of or at least contain free radicals...

See? You don't just come here to be entertained and/or bored stiff and/or laugh at me and/or by total accident - you also occasionally learn stuff.

Here is an additional disturbing fact on free radicals: "Smoking creates 100,000 free radicals per puff." Ewwwwww. 100,000 is a damn lot of anything. And per puff. Damn. I'm creating millions every day, hell per cigarette. Since smoking creates so very many, I think there's my proof that cancer and free radicals are in fact definitely affiliated. I also think I really want to quit smoking now.

Ok. Happier subjects now.

For someone who knows absolutely zilch about college basketball, I did fairly well in our office bracket. I mean, I'm not gonna win or anything, but quite a few people entered, and out of 9 pages of results-to-date that we just got, listed from best to worst, I did at least well enough to be on page 1 as opposed to page 8 or 9. So far scores range from 25 right to 47 right and I got 41 right. In fact, only 12 people have (so far) more right than me. Of course, I'm out of it now, but at least that's a pretty respectable score. Thank you, ESPN. It looks like the most that it's possible for anyone to get right now is 51, depending on future game outcomes. I beat one of my attorneys by 4 wins. Nana Nana Boo Boo.

American Idol Tonight: We watched it last night, so I can make an actual informed guess. In my opinion, Kellie, Lisa, and Bucky were the worst and should be in the bottom 3. I don't suppose Kellie will be voted off because I think she has herself a good sized fan base. I like her, though she sang crappy and a bad song last night, but I am getting a little tired of her emulating Carrie Underwood. It was kind of cute at first but enough, already, and I don't think America's ultimately going to go for that image 2 years in a row. Based solely on last night's performances, Kellie should be the one to go, but I think Lisa will actually be the one to go. Bucky's time is coming though; I wasn't that impressed with his Tim McGraw.

And cut, that's a wrap.

No comments: