Wednesday, March 22, 2006

In Other News...

You'd think there is no other news around here besides the Cowboys.

I'm trying to stop paying attention to the Cowboys, but they make it absolutely impossible around here. On the radio, television, in the paper... you can try to ignore it all, but then your friend, one of your "Yippee, I suddenly love T.O. even though I used to think he was an ass!" friends, feels compelled to read you half of the latest Cowboys story while you're trapped in the elevator going up 41 floors. And the saga only gets worse and worse, as far as I'm concerned.

Yesterday the Cowboys released 10-time Pro-Bowl player Larry Allen. He was scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus on April 1, in addition to his $3.5 million salary. Somehow, that was going to count $7.5 million against the salary cap. Now I was never an expert at math, but... clearly I don't understand the whole salary cap concept.

But anyway. Oh sure, release a proven player who not only still has some great playing time left in him, but has been a proven leader on this team. And be sure to do that right after you sign a guy who is known for ripping teams apart. Good call.

According to the paper, "With the release of Larry Allen, there are no players on the roster who won a Super Bowl ring--or even a playoff game--wearing a Cowboys uniform."

Let's reiterate. NO players who have even won a playoff game wearing a Cowboys uniform .

But then, come to think of it, when was the last time they won a playoff game?

I'd be really curious to know just how many players the Cowboys have who have even played in a playoff game, ever, in a different uniform. My guess is very few. And yet they've just released a treasure chest of playoff, Superbowl and leadership experience.

Are all of you sudden newby T.O. fans absolutely certain that T.O. was the missing link to a Cowboys Superbowl victory? Because as much as I doubted that before... and now with the release of one of the key leadership figures on this team... I do not see good things ahead. At all.

Oh, and I think it's important to note here... Bill Parcells can still not be reached for comment. Hmmmmm.

Thus endeth my comments about the Cowboys. Promise. That is, until such time in the probably not too distant future as I get to utter my "I told you so."

But in other news, of which there is actually plenty... According to the Colts' website, Adam Vinatieri, "one of the best clutch kickers in NFL history," has agreed in principle to a contract with the Colts.

Oh and hey, WOOHOO, guess WHAT?! The Colts are coming here to Dallas some time in 2006; the actual date schedule is not yet posted, but they've listed their opponents.

Guess who'll be in the stands with her new #18 Peyton Manning jersey on, getting to cheer on her new team in person?

No comments: