Monday, March 20, 2006

Where's an Ark When You Need One?

7 inches of rain in Arlington this weekend. 7 inches. Of rain. In 48 hours. It's the first time I've gotten 7 inches in quite awhile. (Oops, did I type that out loud?)

My backyard is flooded. The dogs understandably did not want to go out at all and had to be practically shoved out the door to go to the bathroom. At some point Callie must have decided she enjoyed it, because she came back inside with mud up to her doggie legpits. I did not want to go out either but, much like the dogs, I had no choice.

Of course, I had it better than the folks whose homes got flooded, or the ones who attempted to drive through water when they couldn't even see the road and got stranded. Yikes.

Fortunately I didn't encounter anything like that on the way to the bowling alley last night. That's the only place we went all day yesterday, and I debated whether to go out in the weather at all, but we'll be in Louisiana next weekend and the kid will be with her mama the weekend after that (at least, in theory) so if we didn't go then it would have been awhile till she got to go again. She has a little boyfriend her age at the bowling alley she likes to play with, his parents bowl in my league. They are so cute together. She had a good time, except when she had to have a time-out for pinching some other little girl. I didn't see it, the girl's mother told me, but the kid fessed right up and said she didn't know why she did it. I don't know what was up with that. She's never done that before that I know of. I hope that's not the start of something new and awful. I doubt it, she's a sweet kid, it's hard to imagine she would even do that at all, except that she confessed. That's the same kid who came home Friday from school talking about how they learned that even if someone doesn't have on green on St. Patrick's Day, they shouldn't pinch because it isn't nice. I don't think it will happen again.

Bowling was pretty much the highlight of the weekend. I know, that's so sad, right? Other than that, I worked on Saturday and then hung out at the house and watched it rain. Exciting stuff. But then, it was a whole 7 inches.

No comments: